District Courts were located in the house of Mrs. Forster, where
only eight courts could be accommodated. In 1899 few more rooms were
rented in H-Abdul Rehman Ataul Rehman Building. The old building at
Kashmere Gate was declared unsafe in 1949. In the year 1953
twenty-two Civil Subordinate Courts were moved to Hindu College
Building (1, Skinners House), also at Kashmere Gate. The Courts
continued to function in this building till 31-03-1958.
Construction of Tis Hazari Courts Building started
in 1953. It was raised at a cost of Rs.85.00 Lacs. The same was
inaugurated on 19-03-1958 by Chief Justice Mr. A. N. Bhandari of the
then Punjab High Court. All the civil courts and many criminal
courts were housed in this building. Even today Tis Hazari continues
to be the principal court building in Delhi.